If you're using Chrome, the right column of this blog isn't displaying correctly. Switch to Firefox. If you're using the iPad, you're a tool. If you're using IE, go kill yourself.
(This person is kinda upset that I dissed their favorite browser. I actually use Chrome and I like it, but for some reason the layout here is different than on Firefox. And of course, the iPad and IE just plain suck. You tool.)

Monday, February 22, 2010

Where's the coding key?

As I've said before, I'm kind of a computer geek. I'm in the process of interviewing for positions in the computer science field, so I have to know the very basic things of coding, right? Apparently, no.

Turns out that the vast majority of people interviewing for programming positions don't even know the first thing of programming. I'm assuming that most of the 3 readers of this blog don't know much about computer science, so I'll quote a sentence from the article that makes an analogy:

To be clear, hard is a relative term -- we're not talking about complicated, Google-style graduate computer science interview problems. This is extremely simple stuff we're asking candidates to do. And they can't. It's the equivalent of attempting to hire a truck driver and finding out that 90 percent of the job applicants can't find the gas pedal or the gear shift.

So I guess I'm slightly ahead of the game. Bosses are now, during the interviewing stage, forcing applicants to write some practice code in order to weed out the non-programmers. They've been doing this over the phone (which is kinda hard to do), handing them a piece of paper, or, a new method, giving them a problem to solve over the Internet.

0 comments: