If you're using Chrome, the right column of this blog isn't displaying correctly. Switch to Firefox. If you're using the iPad, you're a tool. If you're using IE, go kill yourself.
(This person is kinda upset that I dissed their favorite browser. I actually use Chrome and I like it, but for some reason the layout here is different than on Firefox. And of course, the iPad and IE just plain suck. You tool.)

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Alan Turing was gay?

I guess when compared to the general population, I'm kind of a computer geek (I use Linux and program in Java). So I was surprised to find out that a member of computer science's pantheon, Alan Turing, was gay. I had heard a faint rumor before but it had totally escaped my mind because I didn't pay attention to it.

In 1952, Turing admitted to having a homosexual affair with a 19 year-old. He was charged with gross indecency, at a time when homosexual acts were illegal in Britain. Given a choice to go to prison or go on probation on the condition that he ingest estrogen to reduce his libido -- a process known as chemical castration -- he chose the latter. A side effect caused him to grow breasts. Two and a half years later he died from cyanide poisoning, in what most people believe was a suicide.

In September of last year, the British government formally apologized to Turing for prosecuting him as a gay man.

I don't know about you, but I would have much rather gone to prison.

0 comments: