If you're using Chrome, the right column of this blog isn't displaying correctly. Switch to Firefox. If you're using the iPad, you're a tool. If you're using IE, go kill yourself.
(This person is kinda upset that I dissed their favorite browser. I actually use Chrome and I like it, but for some reason the layout here is different than on Firefox. And of course, the iPad and IE just plain suck. You tool.)

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Running barefoot




Since there are no studies that show that running shoes prevent injuries, some people, such as Christopher McDougall, support running barefoot or nearly barefoot. Let's say I'm jogging slightly leaning on my left side. With my big and clunky shoes on, I have no way of knowing that one side of my left foot is getting a bit tender. But if I'm running with a thinner sole, I can quickly readjust my spine until I can feel my foot getting better. This will prevent any pain I may experience in the future from the constant incorrect running.

Human beings ran barefoot for hundreds of thousands of years before shoes were introduced. We chased down animals in the hot African savanna without the aid of footwear. So we've evolved to move without something on our feet, anyway.

One company that makes "barefoot shoes" is Vibram FiveFingers. McDougall says (25:05) he's been using them for about a year and a half and it's like running free in the wind. They haven't worn out yet, either. But they're not only for exercise; they can be used for any purpose in life. FREE YOUR FEET!

An article in the Daily Mail by McDougall.

His new book, Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen, can be found here.

0 comments: